You may have heard about the negative effects of hard water in your home before, but what exactly does that mean? Hard water refers to water that has high mineral content, especially calcium and magnesium. You may notice that you have hard water if you wash your hands and feel like there is a slimy residue on them, or you may notice that water spots and hard minerals are building up on your faucets.
While hard water is not dangerous, it can be annoying and even shorten the lifespan of some of your equipment, such as your water heater and pipes. Luckily, there is a solution: water softeners. Water softeners come with a variety of amazing benefits, but for the sake of being brief, this article will discuss just five of them.
- You will spend less time cleaning. Because water softeners reduce or eliminate the scale and soap scum you may find on plumbing fixtures in your home, you can spend less time cleaning and more time doing something you enjoy.
- Your clothing will last longer and look better. Excess minerals in your water can stain your laundry and cause the colors to fade, but water softeners keep your clothes looking better longer.
- Your hair and skin may improve. Hard water tends to dry out your skin and hair because it strips them of natural oils, but soft water helps them to retain moisture and have better texture.
- You can save money on repairs. As we mentioned previously, hard water can shorten the lifespan of your appliances or plumbing equipment because the mineral deposits can clog or damage them. With water softeners, however, you won’t have to spend so much money on repairs or replacement.
- You can save energy. Soft water heats up faster than hard water, so water softeners allow you to waste less energy when you take a shower or wash dishes.